Saturday, June 5, 2010

My baby graduated!!!


OK, so it was only Pre-K but still, a big day in our family.

It was a day filled with tears on my part. Crying because he was leaving the most wonderful Pre-K program I could have ever dreamed of. Crying as we said goodbye to his WONDERFUL teacher, Ms. Leslie. Crying because I was going to have to find some way to entertain my son for the next three months. Crying because I was losing my five hours of freedom every Monday thru Thursday. Crying because... well, I digress.

But seriously, I am having angst because this school was so wonderful, how will I ever find a school that could even remotely compare? I would love to put him in a private school but Kyle and I have a hard time justifying the money we'd have to spend to send him to private school just for Kindergarten. If he was starting middle school or high school, the choice would be much easier but being that it's only his first year, what would it hurt having him in a public school for this year? We can always move him to a private school if we don't like the public school system, right? Has anyone else struggled with this decision? If so, what helped you make the decision you did?

Anyway, back to the graduation.. Gatlin got to wear a cap and gown and then they had a sweet ceremony in the chapel. They sang several songs and the teachers all spoke about the fun things they did all year and about how wonderful the kids were. (Insert me crying here). Then, they called each child down one at a time, gave them a certificate and a Bible and told everyone what each child said they wanted to be when they grow up. Here's what Gatlin said...


(Insert more tears here)

We finished up graduation with a traditional hot dog lunch in the gymnasium and then, just like that, my son was a Pre-K graduate and on his way to Kindergarten.

Gatlin's class

Gatlin and his precious teacher, Ms. Leslie

Gatlin and his buddy, Ryan

Can anyone tell me what happened to my little sweet boy who couldn't hold his head up, drooled everywhere, and needed 6-8 naps a day?
Congratulations, Gatlin. You have learned so much and I can't wait to spend the next three months with you doing who knows what; haven't figured that out yet..


2 comments:

Jamie said...

We had this same struggle when Carly graduated from PreK. I was so in love with her private PreK and her teachers there. Against my better judgement we sent her to public Kindergarten last year and much to my surprise it went great! She had a great teacher and I am now quite pleased and she will be going to 1st grade at that same public school. We also cannot justify spending that money. I think a lot of parents struggle with this same thing these days. I am a product of public school and think I turned out alright. Just remember that your God is big enough to protect your child no matter where he goes!

Amber said...

I was crying too at the last day of my kids' preschool, even though they don't go to kindergarten next year...just cuz it is going to be so difficult to fill up the summer I fear! I don't envy you having to decide about Kgarten next year. Tough decision!!! Just pray! Wish we could hang out together this summer!!!!!