Monday, November 3, 2008

Horton Hears a "No Way, Jose!!"

OK, so I got the bright idea to dress Gatlin as Horton the elephant from "Horton Hears a Who". I browsed online for a costume and gave Gatlin several options. He picked his favorite and the countdown until it arrived began. When it got here, Gatlin was so excited.... until he actually tried it on! A fit, the likes of which I can honestly say I haven't seen in a long time, commenced. I decided to take pictures for prosperity in case I could never get him back into it and after 5 minutes of sobbing and screaming my son said "NO MORE PICTURES!" I just died laughing and put him out of his misery by taking the costume off. After he tried it on, I quickly realized that the costume needed some work if it was to be what I had envisioned it to be. The head piece was so floppy that it wouldn't stand upright. Also, it was missing the most important part of Horton; the flower that the Whos live on! So, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought all I needed to make the flower and hot glued it to the trunk. Then, I went to a fabric store and purchased fusible webbing to get the head to stand up. After much frustration, the costume was ready for its Halloween debut. But, Gatlin was not!
Kyle forced him into the suit and crammed the hat on his head while Gatlin completely lost his mind in a fit worse than the first time (welcome to age 3!) I could hear Kyle telling Gatlin he had no choice and he would trick or treat no matter what because "your mother worked very hard on this" so "man up!" Yes, my husband told our three year old to "man up". I must admit, it was hard to contain the laughter at that point.
So, Kyle dragged my son out the door and across the street to our friends' house where Kelci promptly saved Halloween by giving Gatlin a sucker. Crisis solved, why didn't we think of that? We only made it to about four houses before Gatlin was done trick or treating but, he did wear the costume for an hour after that waiting to pass out candy.

Fit #1. (Notice the floppy head)

Fit #2

Fit #2, still going... this time, no costume malfunction

As usual, the girls were not left out of the Halloween fun. They walked around with us and wore their costumes like good girls. I torture them, I know.

Scout the Chicken

Sortie, our monkey

2 comments:

4Clarkes said...

Despite the tears Gatlin looks adorable.

Steph said...

"Man up" - that totally sounds like Jeff Hawkins. That or telling our one-year-old to "stop being a baby."

Gatlin's story is a lot like Landon's. He *loved* the cow costume - in the store. As soon as we brought it home he wanted nothing to do with it and would throw down THE worst tantrum when I tried to put it on him. We finally bribed him into the body (think high-pitched monkey theatrics) but the hoodie head thing was a losing battle. He wanted nothing to do with it. SO - he was a cow body with a baby head.

Cuties nonetheless!